Friday, December 14, 2012

12 Days Before Christmas

It's  Thursday, and it is 12 days before Christmas. 

$8.71 in the bank. About $2 in change. 

Out of food basics: cereal, eggs, fruit, milk, and more. 

Barely a 1/4 of a tank of gas in the car. 

I promised our granddaughter Sadie a pretty Christmas dress for Sunday—3 days away. Sadie is singing  a two-line duet for the Christmas program with the children's choir. 

I need to have my hair cut and get a permanent, so I can have a professional picture taken for promoting my soon to be released book, A Woman's Heart for God: Drawing Closer to the Lover of Your Soul. 

I check to see how much both will cost: $115.00.

Our property  taxes are 3 days overdue, $1,432.53 plus penalties. 

Our kitchen sink needs to be repaired. How much will that cost?

Six days until we get our Social Security check. 

I can't imagine where the money will come from, so I panic and pray earnestly. Where will we possibly get the money to buy Sadie a dress and get the basics in food to hold us over, let alone have my hair done, or pay the property taxes? Our Social Security checks won't begin to cover it all. 

I am expecting an advance for my new book, but it shouldn't come until January. 

Have you ever faced such a financial dilemma? You were greatly worried? 


"O ye of little faith." This phrase from Matthew kept playing through my mind. I'd forgotten what that chapter was about, so I looked up the passage, Matthew 6:25-34, in The New Living Translation. Here is the passage, exactly what I needed to hear, and be reminded of:

 “That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life—whether you have enough food and drink, or enough clothes to wear. Isn’t life more than food, and your body more than clothing? 26 Look at the birds. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them. And aren’t you far more valuable to him than they are?27 Can all your worries add a single moment to your life?"

28 “And why worry about your clothing? Look at the lilies of the field and how they grow. They don’t work or make their clothing, 29 yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. 30 And if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith?"

31 “So don’t worry about these things, saying, ‘What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?’ 32 These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs. 33 Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need. 34 “So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today."

Ron had picked up the mail that afternoon, but he had taken a long nap. At dinner time, he comes out holding an envelope. It was my royalty check!

It would cover all of our expenses! Talk about a happy dance in my heart. We both rejoiced, happy but near tears. 

Christmas is coming! Christ was born. It is Him we celebrate.







No comments: