Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A Simple Answered Prayer

Yesterday, the Lord answered a simple prayer. It had been raining most of the morning and along with the wind, it was a chilly Santa Maria day.  I got up at  6:30 am, showered and dressed, then went to help get my grand-girls off to school, urging them to dress, eat, brush their teeth, comb their hair, and get their backpacks and lunches. It's always a race against the clock with me urging the girls to get moving while they move at a poky pace.

I got Sierra out the door to catch her ride and watched the other two girls until right before 10 a.m. when I  took Sadie to Kindergarten and Delaney to preschool and then went to a doctor's appointment. I was done by 11 a.m. and ready for a nap. Grandma's need them.

I sat in the car for a few minutes and read, which is my respite from the insistent needs of Ron and the girls and the phone and all the other tasks that call my name. It started to pour, a pounding rain that thundered and rattled, so I thought I better get home. I put my key in the ignition, but my car would not start. I waited and tried and it would not start. I panicked when the car didn't start after several tries.  I didn't have a working cell phone, so it meant I needed to go back to the doctor's office and use their phone, which I did.

I was told it would be a thirty minute wait for an Automobile Club tow truck. I've been stuck with a broken car many times, and the wait had been that long if not longer. I had eaten a piece of toast for breakfast, but I am a diabetic, and I was starting to have a low blood sugar attack. There was no place to eat close by; besides it was pouring rain. If the car had to be towed to the mechanic, how could I pick up the girls at school? I was fearful about the cost of car repairs. Our bank account was already broken. I was playing the "anxious" game in my mind; I am a winner when it comes to worry at times like that. Finally, I simply prayed for the Lord's help. It was a quick cry of the heart.

Within a few minutes, the tow truck arrived in the thundering rain. The driver reminded me that my car lights were on, which I had forgotten. The car has this annoying habit of not turning off the lights when you turn off the ignition. The battery needed charging, and so did my faith. Within five minutes I was on my way relieved that the car was fine and grateful that God had heard and responded to my simple prayer.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great reminder, Sheila, thanks. I am glad you had such a good outcome. I am really good at playing the "anxious" game also. I think I need to work on the "praise & trust" game more. It brings better results and a lot more peace.

Unknown said...

Yes, it does. Your comment is much appreciated!