Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Will of God

 The Spirit helps us pray according to the will of God (Rom. 8:27). “God can see what is in people’s hearts. And he knows what is in the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit speaks to God for his people in the way God wants” (Rom. 8:27 ncv).

“And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us. And if we know that he hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests that we have asked of him” (1 John 5:14-15 esv).

We don’t know what we need, what is best or “what God’s will is, but the Holy Spirit controls those prayers and promotes those desires which are consistent with God’s purposes and which are best for us. Such prayers are always answered,” said Charles Hodge. (Hodge, Romans, 256)

Moreover, the Spirit prompts us to pray only for that which is holy and consistent with God’s Word and will. The Holy Spirit never urges us to ask for anything that is sinful or forbidden by Scripture. He never prompts us to pray for anything that is contrary to God’s predestined purposes and will.

Spurgeon said, “Reflect for a moment: the Holy Spirit knows all the purposes of God, and when they are about to be fulfilled, he moves the children of God to pray about them, and so their prayers keep touch and tally with the divine decrees.” Charles H. Spurgeon, “The Holy Spirit's Intercession,”  No. 1532, April 11th, 1880, Metropolitan Tabernacle, Newington.) 

God always answers yes when it’s His will and His timing. Spurgeon said, “The mind of God is one and harmonious; if, therefore, the Holy Spirit dwells in  you, and he moves you to any desire, then his mind is in your prayer, and it is not possible that the  eternal Father should reject your petitions.” (Charles H. Spurgeon, “The Holy Spirit's Intercession,”  No. 1532, April 11th, 1880, Metropolitan Tabernacle, Newington.) 

 Moreover, we can be assured that “counsel of the LORD stands forever, the plans of his heart to all generations.” (Ps. 33:11 esv). Nothing or no one can prevent God from answering our prayers that are part of His plans and accomplish His purposes.

All we need to do is ask the Holy Spirit to guide us in prayer when we cannot see our way. When we are in the dark, He gives us light. When we are perplexed and foggy in our faith, He will open our eyes that we may see.

The Holy Spirit is our Counselor, Comforter, and Friend when we are going through trying times. He  reminds us of His faithfulness and how He has cared for us in the past and assures us of His presence now and in the future.

When you can’t find a promise to sustain you, Jesus promised that “the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you” (John 14:26 esv).

Realizing the extent of the Holy Spirit’s help has transformed my faith. He is teaching me how to pray as He desires and I am learning to rest in the assurance that He hears me. I am better able to see how He is working. His power is more than sufficient for all my weaknesses in prayer. This lifts the burden off of me!

He knows the right words to pray when I don’t. He is always speaking for me. What encouragement! He understands the cries of my heart, knows my thoughts, and presents them to God. What assurance!

Here is Jer. 17:10 in three versions: 

“I the LORD search the heart and examine the mind, to reward a man according to his conduct, according to what his deeds deserve” (Jer. 17:10: NIV).

“But I, GOD, search the heart

and examine the mind.

I get to the heart of the human.

I get to the root of things.

I treat them as they really are,

not as they pretend to be” (Jer. 17:10: (MSG).

“But I know! I, the LORD, search all hearts and examine secret motives. I give all people their due rewards, according to what their actions deserve” (Jer. 17:10: NLT)

No comments: