Friday, April 30, 2010

May Your Will Be Done

May your will be done here on earth, just as it is in heaven” (Matt. 6:10 nlt). “Our truest happiness is perfect submission to God’s will, and it is the purest love to pray that all mankind may know it, obey it and submit to it.” (Ryle, Matthew, 40.)


Why should we request that God’s will be done since everything He planned will be done? “My word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it” (Isa. 55:1).

“The will of God is the glory of heaven, doing His will brings the blessedness of heaven. As the will is done, the Kingdom of heaven comes into the heart. And wherever faith has accepted the Father’s love, obedience accepts the Father’s will. The surrender to, and the prayer for, a life of heaven-like obedience is the spirit of childlike prayer.” (Murray, With Christ in the School of Prayer,  34.)

We also pray to know God’s will because how else can He reveal it to us? If we don’t ask, how can we see what He is accomplishing in the world as His Word tells us? He reveals His plans and purposes through Scripture.

Reading and learning His Word is an essential part of our prayer-life for through it God speaks to us.  Listening to Scripture is prayer.

We also need to know the Lord’s will for our own lives. That’s a daily request; it’s not reserved for a special calling to the ministry or serving in church. What is God’s will for me today? If we ask this question and follow the Lord’s guidance everyday we’ll do what He desires over a lifetime.

I’ve been struggling with God’s will in my own life, daily not doing the things I know I should be doing. I know what the Lord desires of me, but I’m not consistent in doing it. I have been having devotions one day then two or three days skipping them. I feel spiritually empty.

Our life has been so fragmented that I haven’t been maintaining a writing schedule, which I should be doing.  The following was written more than ten years ago,  but our life is still about the same, along with the added exhausting joy of helping raise our three young grand-girls. 


It’s January and in the first fifteen days of this New Year, our sinks in one bathroom had been leaking and towels and lots of other things were mildewed or ruined. It was a time-consuming mess.

I’ve spent a couple days waiting while the car was repaired. Christmas decorations are still piled on the table. Plus we’ve had hours of doctor’s appointments. I am anxious about Ron’s two-hour eye operation that was suddenly scheduled for tomorrow.

 I carry most of the responsibilities since Ron became legally blind more than a year ago, which I am grateful to be able to do. But all the ordinary tasks and unexpected problems that are a part of life make concentrating on writing books difficult. I’m a slow writer, and it is hard work for me.

Besides I’m sixties, and isn’t it time to retire? Yet I know Christians who are sacrificially serving the Lord in their eighties.

Yesterday I was praying about my frustrations and failures. I finally took time to have devotions, which the Lord was strongly convicting me to do. As I was talking to the Lord, I was torn between being obedient to His desires while not wanting to do His will even in some of the most basic things. I wanted to be free to do as I pleased.

The devotional was about the Apostle Paul, who served the Lord with gladness but had terrible hardships I’ve never experienced. Wouldn’t you know the Lord always has a way of making me put things in perspective?

Five times Paul was nearly whipped to death, three times beaten by rods, stoned once, three times shipwrecked, spent a night and a day in the open sea, was in constant danger, went without sleep and food and water, was cold and naked, besides daily feeling the pressure of his concern for churches under his care (2 Cor. 11:24-29). 

So what did I have to complain about? Then this verse said, “‘Now get up and stand on your feet. I have appeared to you to appoint you as a servant and as a witness of what you have seen of me and what I will show you’” (Acts 26:16).

Then I read how we often blame our trials on Satan’s attacks, not willing to admit that we are being disciplined by our Father. “What is often mistaken as Satan’s attack may actually be chastisement from our loving Father.  . . . “God is disciplining you in order to gain your attention  and bring necessary change to your life. How tragic never to make the connection between your problems and God’s discipline.” (Blackaby, Experiencing God Day-by-Day, Jan. 14, 14.)

My first thoughts were of someone else who needed to hear this rebuke, but God quickly reminded me that He was speaking to me.

“Only the power of God can free us from our natural self-centeredness and reorient us toward the mission of God.” (Blackaby, Experiencing God Day-by-Day, Jan. 15, 15.)

“Not every hardship you face is the chastisement of God, but Scripture indicates that God will discipline you. . . God, whose nature is perfect love, will correct you because He has your ultimate good in His heart.”  (Blackaby, Experiencing God Day-by-Day, Jan. 14, 14.)

What I read was not what I wanted to hear. I wanted the Lord’s sympathy, but His rebuke is what I needed. I asked the Lord to show me His will and He clearly answered in a simple, straightforward way. I assure you that the peace and joy of gladly doing His will is far better with the inner tension and troubled spirit that I struggle with when I don’t do as He desires.


No comments: